In the kitchen
√ Wear tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
√ Set a timer when cooking so you don’t forget to turn off burners or the oven.
√ Make sure all appliances are in good shape.
√ Have worn cords or plugs replaced.
√ Always stay in the kitchen while cooking.
√ Keep flammable items such as dishtowels, paper and plastic bags at least three feet away from the range top.
√ Do not allow children to keep candles or incense in their rooms.
√ When using candles, use stable candles holders made of non-flammable material such as metal or glass.
√ Only light candles when adults will be in the room and blow them out when adults leave.
Matches and lighters
√ Store matches and lighters in a locked cabinet, and be sure your children understand the dangers of playing with matches and lighters!
Heaters and fireplaces
√ Keep space heaters away from curtains, stacks of newspaper, bed skirts and other things that can easily catch fire.
√ Always turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
√ Have a service person inspect fireplaces, chimneys and central furnaces once per year.
√ Have chimneys cleaned when necessary.
√ Keep things that can burn away from your fireplace. Placing a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace can help keep things from falling into it.
√ If you smoke, use “fire-safe” cigarettes and be sure to smoke outside.
√ Always use deep, large ashtrays on sturdy surfaces.
√ Never smoke in the bed.
√ Always douse cigarette butts with water before dumping them in the trash.
√ Always stay by the grill when cooking. Remember, your grill can remain hot for a long time after you’ve finished cooking, so keep children and pets away.
√ Keep grills at least ten feet away from other objects, including the house, shrubs and bushes.
√ Try not to keep gasoline at home. If you must keep gasoline at home, store it in a special safety container.
√ Store gasoline in an outdoor shed away from your home, if possible. Close all openings.
√ Use gasoline as a motor fuel only; never bring or use gasoline indoors.
Sources: Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service and Home Safety Council